Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Such a neat kid

Oliver in his "corner" with some of his favorite things, books.

Oliver helping in the kitchen.

That's how I like to describe Oliver. I know I am his mom but he just does the neatest things sometimes. I know that all kids do neat things, and many of them much more impressive than what Oliver does but since this is his blog I can brag about them.

Here are some stories that I wanted to blog about so I wouldn't forget:

Oliver loves to cook and help in the kitchen. I have been cooking more meals due to Doug's work schedule and so it is a fun way to spend time with Oliver in the evenings. He loves to play with the pots, plastic bowls, wooden spoons and cooking utensils.

Awhile back, I was making dinner and he saw me get an onion out of the refrigerator. Oliver got so excited and kept saying "onion, onion!". "Yes, Oliver, I'm going to chop an onion." I only needed half a cup so I got out the cutting board instead of using the food processor. Oliver launches into this huge fit. I couldn't figure out why he was so upset. It turns out that he wanted to help put the onion in the food processor and help push the button to chop the onion in the food processor. I guess the last time he was around, I let him help and he decided that it was too much fun. So now, whenever, I need an onion chopped, we use the food processor and Oliver helps.

He also has to help unload or load the dishwasher. I have to grab the knives pretty quickly so that he won't want to help with the knives. He really gets very upset if he is not allowed to help.

I am hoping that this love of helping will continue. If I make a mess (which is often) Oliver always wants to help pick it up. The other night, I left my water glass too close to the edge of the dining table and the next thing I know I hear "Mess". So, I got a towel for both of us and he "helped" to clean up the mess. He is even pretty good about picking up his books and toys before bath time.

Speaking of bath time, Oliver no longer needs a laundry basket in the bathtub. In case you are wondering, read this. Oliver is now the proud owner of an Elmo bathmat (the kind you put in the tub so you won't slip). He can't wait to take a bath at night. On the way home, he will recite what we will do: "Mommy push button" (opening the garage door), "snack", "Elmo bath mat". Mommy,"Oliver, after we have dinner, then you can have a bath with your Elmo bath mat."
Oliver,"Dinner ready Elmo bath mat" Loves, loves the Elmo bath mat.

More posts later. I estimate about six inches of snow on the ground so it looks like I may be able to catch up with some blogging in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment